General Meeting: Non-Profits and Public Relations
Utah PRSSA‘s General Meetings kicked off spring semester with Jessica Pugh from Utah Food Bank. Jessica is a mentor in our Mentor Program and is paired with one of our current members; Sami. Jessica attended Ball State University in Indiana, graduated with her bachelor’s in Public Relations in 2007 and began work with the Utah Food Bank later that year. Jessica was asked to speak to our chapter about her work in public relations in a non-profit environment.
Jessica is passionate about her work for the Utah Food Bank, listening to her explain the impact her efforts have had on our community was inspirational. We learned quite a bit in listening to Jessica, but here a five key facts about “Non-Profits and Public Relations”:
- Non-profits are located on a national, regional, and statewide level
- Human services, arts, environmental and educational are common fields for non-profits
- Non-profits are ran by a Board of Directors
- Larger non-profits have internal structures similar to corporate offices, while small non-profits have limited personnel.
- Small non-profits allow more experience in multiple areas; Jessica has experience in social media, media relations, public relations, graphic design, marketing, and more.
Jessica also shared a great tip about your homework; save it. “Save all finished projects, templates, and notes. You will use them,” she says.
Next month’s meeting is Thursday, February 17 and our guest speaker is Chris Thomas from Intrepid Communications. See ya there!