5 Tips that will Transform your Ability to Interview
Chris Thomas, owner of Intrepid Hybrid Communications, spoke to PRSSA about interviewing skills and portfolio building last week. He left us with 5 great tips.
1. Be Strategic
- Do your research. Know their clients and local press. It’s very impressive when somebody can tell you something new.
- Do work beforehand. Understand their mission. Research the positions and call somebody within the organization to ask questions before the interview. Post something on LinkedIn. Have a third-party call the interviewer to recommend.
- Position yourself. Think about who else is going for the position. Position yourself differently from others. Make yourself stand out. Shine above the rest.
2. AMP: Anticipate – Message – Practice
- Develop some messaging. Brand yourself. Talk about what’s in it for them.
3. STAR: Situation – Tasks – Action – Results
- Be specific when answering questions
- Make it personal
- Always come back with an experience when you tell them something about yourself
- Look the part
- Be early (5 minutes before)
- Don’t talk too much. Keep answers to no more than 3 minutes.
- Handwritten thank you note within 24 hours
5. Stay in the Game
- Look long-term when you interview for something
- Don’t burn bridges
- Your conduct speaks loudly